Skip to content

The Skin I’m in…..

Sweet like chocolate
Smooth as silk
Dark like coffee
Skimped on the milk
Redolent of a lotus field
And blessed with a mellifluous tongue,
I Am Regal, African, Mother,
Proud
 A true gift of the gods.
Now, is it any wonder that I refuse to yield?
~Daixy~

Dunno why I was up at 2am but at least I got something out of it.  I know I’m a pseudo feminist and African but does anything stop me from displaying my roots? 😛  Ghanaian girls, please don’t shoot me for picking a pic of a Nigerian model.  I beg oh!

Comments

comments

13 Comments

1. Anonymous
    Anonymous

A RESPONSE TO UR POEM

yh. love the skin u r in..
    hides all ur sin
    wash it, but i guarantee, it wont be clean
    till u kneel down and pray till u scream
    then u will be clean
    from ur sin
    hi linda…..
    nefa in the house woot woot!
    luv ya

August 18, 2010
  2. OMG Nefa! You’re nutts!

Glad you could check out my space, coz. Miss you

August 18, 2010
  3. I’d say, if you got it, flaunt it.

August 18, 2010
  4. Anonymous
    Anonymous

yh Linda ur space is cool…maybe i might be a regular…cheers! 🙂

August 18, 2010
  5. @ Tetekai, ain’t that the truth?

@ Nefa, I’d love to see you visiting regularly.

August 18, 2010
  6. Anonymous
    Anonymous

daixy……..yh i will be a regular……

August 19, 2010
  7. I like this on many levels, but maybe on on the oft-travelled motif.

Redolent seemed, well, out of place, not for meaning but for the choice of that particular word. It has a different texture, to me, from the rest.

I was wondering, as well, what “Mother” was doing in there. That is what I think throws it back so clearly to the oft-used theme.

The poem itself is very sweet and sensible, and I saw nature without seeing Feminism at all :p.

I knew this was coming, so I was expectant. You did justice to it!

August 20, 2010
  8. This reminds me of the recitation during the play “House of Secrets”. Nice one… 🙂

August 20, 2010
  9. @ Nana Yaw. I dunno if you know how much it means to have you critique this. I truly appreciate your blunt honesty. I saw feminism cuz it’s us women that taste like chocolate 😛 Even more so cuz we’re the ones who smell flowery.

I threw in mother, cuz at the time i was writing this, I was feeling like a proud african woman/mother, and in that matronly mood where i wanted to cook and clean and feed people. We do that!!! Perhaps I let my current mood distract me from the actual piece (my bad lol). I may change it. Feels like i should, but I’ll wait a bit longer and make sure it’s my final decision.

August 21, 2010
  10. @ Will, Haven’t seen “House of Secrets”. Wish I had 🙁 Glad you like it, hun

August 21, 2010
  11. The picture & refusing to yield do it for me.
    Gotta stay strong.

Before any Gh ladies get on your case for the Naija model, let me throw it out there that we all need to lock it down.
    Not a Gh versus a Naija or whatever thing.

Bigups to Awurama Simpson. I pick Miss Venezuela to win Miss Universe 2010 but much respect to you for making it that far.

Mike